Friday, April 23, 2010

The world of "Pay as you go".

For all of my 18 years I had never known what it was to have any money. There was never any left when the crop was sold and last years debts paid. Daddy must have felt guilty about working us so hard and never giving us any spending money. With my college tuition to pay, he probably thought he could pay what I hadn't worked off when the year was over. He really had no intention of letting me stay four years anyway. We read all the information and nowhere did it say WHEN the tuition was to be paid. My plan was to go over to the administration building and talk to someone about a job, so the very next morning I was the first one there, and discovered I needed to pay that very day. It was about $100 for tuition plus the room and board. Daddy had not left me any money, because I did not know when it was to be paid. I told him I would write when I found out.

I hurried to find a pay phone and called the principal of my high school. He could not believe my dad had left me with no money. He said he would drive out to the farm and give him the message, and if he didn't have the money, not to worry. Mr Munn said he would lend me the money.

I must explain that I knew my dad had the money. It was MY money. My brothers and I could not believe him when he said the year before that he was going to let each if us have a plot of tobacco that we were responsible for. The harvested leaves were kept in separate corners of the barn, prepared for market, and we were there to collect our dough when it was sold. We each had several hundred dollars. I saved all of mine, but was afraid to take it with me. Mr. Munn
told him where I would be all afternoon, and as I left the big meeting in the assembly hall, there they stood, Daddy with his hand outstretched to give me the big bills. I rushed over to the finance office and paid so I could register the next day.

I had no spending money, but no real need for any. Freshmen were not allowed to go home the first six weeks, so I knew I could get some when I did go home. Before the six weeks ended I had figured out a few things and felt like I was going to make it. I had paid for ten coupon books for meals, but could see that I would not eat that much. I had a job in the infirmary which paid for the meals and housing. I met a veteran at church, a student who would buy the meal tickets I couldn't use. The nurses at the infirmary liked me, and often invited me to eat with them. I used the sewing machine there and made myself a couple of new dresses. I had money for my bus ticket to go home after six weeks. I was on a roll!

No comments: