Friday, March 19, 2010

Second blog today!

Is there a magic potion that could make me computer literate??? This is just to explain why I have two blogs, almost exactly the same, following this note.

Last night I only had an hour or so to get down the one in the series about segregation in the south. Our friends came for us as I was finishing it, and I hit a wrong button throwing it into a place I didn't think I could retrieve. Thinking it would be better if I did it over this morning, I was typing away when Paige called. "Grandma" she asked, "are you having trouble with your blog?" She was able to see I had written it, but I had not saved it, so I thought it was gone. Now, several hours later, I see that it is published. If you can stand to read both, tell me if I improved it at all.

My husband read it and reminded me that he could remember the very incident which confirmed to him that I was no longer prejudiced. It was soon after we came to BYU, at a basketball game where we were playing Wyoming. They had a black player on their team, and two ignorant Cougar fan sitting several rows down from us kept yelling, "Get that n____ out of there." Now, that was the worst word you could say when we were growing up!

I took it as long as I could. Then, I stood up, parted the people in front of me who were sitting on the bleachers, and worked my way down several bleacher rows to where they sat. I put a hand on each of their shoulders, and amid the shouting, used my loudest, most affirmative voice to say, "You shut up! I grew up in the South, and we never called them that name. It is the rudest thing you can do!"

I went back to my seat and they didn't make another sound. I will consider that my repentance!

4 comments:

BBS said...

Hi Doris. I just wanted you to know that you have inspired me to create my own blog. I have just loved reading yours. I started on March 17th and really have enjoyed the first few posts. Love from Brenda Berrett Svendsen

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, intention look forward for more related articles in a jiffy as its united of my favourite issue to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Doris Warner said...

Dear Anonymous, my computer does not give me the addresses of people who comment. If you write me through our regular email, I will be happy to add to any subject you want expanded. i would like to know who you are.

Doris Warner

tedjwarner@comcast.net